Constitution of SPCB
Constitution of SPCB
The Odisha State Prevention and Control of Pollution Board was constituted in pursuance of sub-section (1) of section 4 of the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) (Amendment) Act, 1974, vide Notification No. 1481-VII-HI-11/83 (Vol. II)-S.T.E., dt. 15.7.1983 in the erstwhile Department of Science, Technology & Environment, Government of Odisha. The Board is also functioning as the State Board under section 5 of the Air (P&CP) Act, 1981.The entire state of Odisha has been declared as Air Pollution Control Area since 18-07-2002. The Board was re-designated as State Pollution Control Board, Odisha vide Govt. Notification No. Env.-E (F)/8/89/1882 F&E, dt.16.07.1999.
Functions of SPCB
The State Pollution Control Board is entrusted with several functions under the provisions of Water (PCP) Act 1974, Air (PCP) Act 1981, Water Cess Act 1977 and different Rules and notifications issued under the Environment (Protection) Act 1986.
Functions under the Water (PCP) Act, 1974 and Air (PCP) Act, 1981:
The goal of the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 and the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981 are is to improve the quality of air, promote cleanliness of water bodies and to prevent pollution. In order to realize the goal, the Board is mandated to carry out the following functions:
- To plan and execute a comprehensive programme for the prevention, control and abatement of water and air pollution.
- To advise the State Government on any matter concerning the prevention, control or abatement of water and air pollution.
- To collect and disseminate information relating to water and air pollution and the prevention, control or abatement thereof.
- To inspect sewage and trade effluent treatment plants for their effectiveness and review plans, specifications etc. for corrective measures.
- To inspect industrial plants or manufacturing process, any control equipment and to give directions to take steps for the prevention, control or abatement of air pollution.
- Issue environmental no objection certificate to start an industry
- To inspect air pollution control areas for the purpose of assessment of quality of air therein and to take steps for the prevention, control or abatement of air pollution in such areas.
- Regulate and control noise producing and generating sources.
- Monitor the compliance of the standards regarding ground water, ambient air, leach-ate quality, compost quality and incineration standards.
- Close down a defaulting industrial plant or withdraw its supply of power or water.
- To lay down, modify or annual effluent standards for the sewage and trade effluents and for the emission of air pollutants into the atmosphere from industrial plants and automobiles or for the discharge of any air pollutant into the atmosphere from any other source.
- To evolve best economically viable treatment technology for sewage and trade effluents.
- To collect samples of sewage and trade effluents and emissions of air pollutants and to analyze the same for specific parameters.
- To collaborate with Central Pollution Control Board in organizing the training of persons engaged or to be engaged in programme relating to prevention, control or abatement of water and air pollution and to organize mass education programme relating thereto.
- To perform such other functions as may be prescribed by the State Government or Central Pollution Control Board.
Apart from the above said Acts, the Board also enforces the following Acts & Rules:
- The Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Cess Act, 1977, and as amended from time to time.
- The Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Cess Rules, 1978.
- The following Rules and Notifications framed under Environment (Protection) Act, 1986
- Hazardous and Other Wastes (Management and Trans-boundary Movement) Rules, 2016.
- Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- Construction & Demolition Waste Management Rules, 2016
- Bio-Medical Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- E-waste (Management) Rules 2016
- The Noise Pollution (Regulation & Control) Rules, 2000.
- Batteries (Management and Handling) Amendment Rules, 2010
- The Public Liability Insurance Act, 1991.
- Environmental Impact Assessment Notification, 2006.